Compare energy rates in Texas

From Houston to Fort Bliss and everywhere in between, Price To Compare has the Lone Star state covered with the most competitive electricity rates on the market.

Texas energy rates

Find better Texas electricity rate plans in a snap

Just because everything’s bigger in Texas doesn’t mean your electric bills should be. If you’re on the hunt for the lowest electricity rates in Texas, Price To Compare makes it faster and easier than ever. Simply enter your zip code, choose your utility company and access the top electricity plans available in your area. From start to finish, the signup process takes less than five minutes - so what are you waiting for? Find a better electricity rate near you today.

Average price of residential electricity in Texas12.74 ¢/ per kwh

(updated February 2021 with most recent data available)

U.S. Energy Information Administration

Find a better rate

Compare the top green energy plans in Texas

Texas has one of the most abundant supplies of renewable resources in the United States - and we’re here to help you find the best green energy prices on the market.

Price To Compare can connect you to highly competitive renewable energy plans across the state of Texas. Power your home while supporting local eco-friendly electricity initiatives in just a few clicks.

Find a better rate

Access rates from leading Texas gas and electric providers

Comparing Texas energy rates from the top providers in the country has never been easier. Find deals from some of the largest energy producers in the state, including:

Keep your Texas business energy rates lower

Need a better rate on electricity or natural gas for your Texas business? Price To Compare can help. Get a free quote on commercial energy rates for your business and switch commercial energy suppliers today.

Find a better rate

Utility companies in Texas

There are four major electricity and natural gas utility companies that service the state of Texas.

While providers generate energy, utility companies are responsible for distributing that energy. This means that they are tasked with installing and maintaining infrastructure used to deliver electricity and natural gas into your home.

About energy deregulation in Texas

Because Texas is the only state that is fully deregulated for electricity, homeowners have the power to choose their electricity provider - and they have more choices than the day is long.

While 30% of the state is still vertically integrated - meaning the generation, transmission, and retail sectors are still connected - the remaining 70% of the state is required to opt into their default electric provider or choose a competitive Retail Electric Provider (REP).

The Texas residential electricity market became deregulated following the approval of Texas Senate Bill 7 on January 1st, 2002. With this bill also came the Electric Utility Restructuring Legislative Oversight Committee, which was designed to aid in the integration of the new law. The implementation of deregulation was then staggered over the following few years.

Since 2002, around 40% of homeowners and other residential consumers in deregulated communities have switched to a competitive REP.

Natural gas, however, remains deregulated for commercial and industrial energy customers only.

Not sure where to begin?

Talk to an energy consultant today.

energyteam@pricetocompare.com